Singapore is located in southeast Asia, just south of the Malay peninsula. It is a small island nation with an area of 281.3 square miles. This means it is just a little smaller than Dominica. Despite its small size, Singapore had a population of roughly 4.45 million in 2021, making it one of the most densely populated countries in the world.
Singapore has one of the largest and busiest ports in southeast Asia. It has a thriving manufacturing sector which accounts for about 20% of GDP. Singapore manufactures four of the world’s top ten medications. It is one of the world’s largest exporters of petrochemicals. It is a major producer of semiconductor equipment such as microchips. Singapore’s manufacturing sector is valued and supported by the government.
The food processing industry in Singapore employs over 48,000 people and creates annual revenue of over 3 billion US dollars. The Singapore Food Agency regulates all food food processing and storage facilities in the country. They conduct site inspections and lab tests on food samples to ensure proper food safety and hygiene standards are kept.
There are approximately 1000 food manufacturers in Singapore. Many of them are located in industrial estates that are scattered all over the country. These food processing establishments include bakeries, confectionery manufacturers, beverage manufacturers, meat and fish processing facilities, noodle and pasta manufacturers and surimi based product factories. Click here to see a map of Singapore showing the location of some food manufacturers.
Most of the raw materials used in the food processing industry are imported in a raw or semi-processed state. Though some companies are quite large, the majority of food processing operations in Singapore are small to medium sized enterprises and employ only a few people. Wages are relatively low compared to other manufacturing industries in Singapore.
Some food processing companies in Singapore include:
- Liang Yi Food Industries PTE Ltd which specializes in making vegetarian food products such as vegetarian dumplings and various meat alternatives. The company distributes products locally and to overseas markets.
- Chop Hup Chong Food Industries PTE Ltd. which produces meat products such as barbeque meat products and meat floss products.
- CKT Foods PTE Ltd. which produces a variety of seasonings and condiments. Its products include soy sauce, sweet sauce, vinegar and sweet flour sauce.
Trends in the Singapore Food Processing Industry
Singapore exports more than half the food products that are produced in the country. The government hopes to further help develop the country into a leading food hub in Asia in the near future. Singapore’s Food Manufacturing Industry Transformation Map seeks to help businesses innovate to meet changes in consumer tastes and upgrade to take advantage of improvements in technology. Some of the strategies for doing this are listed below:
- The Food Innovation Resource Centre helps food companies develop new products and processes.
- The Singapore Food Manufacturers Association conducts product development workshops.
- The High Pressure Processing resource sharing facility gives companies access to advanced technology without the need to purchase the equipment themselves.
- Singapore seeks to upgrade the workforce by providing opportunities for education and training in fields such as food science, quality assurance and operating new systems
- The Automation Support Package helps food manufacturing companies incorporate automation and robotics solutions into their operations.
- The online shop Tasty Singapore was launched on China’s top e-commerce platforms. It lists over 130 of Singapore’s food products offered by over 25 companies.
Many consumers are becoming more conscious of nutrition and environmental issues. There is a shift towards the production of more healthy and environmentally friendly food products in Singapore. Companies are creating healthier products, using biodegradable packaging and sourcing raw materials in a more ethical manner.
The official website of Liang Yi Food Industries PTE Ltd.